Why Bootstrappers should write SOPs
What are SOPs?
SOPs, or Standard Operating Procedures, document repeating processes in a standardized format.
8 reasons to write SOPs
Writing good SOPs takes time, so you might be asking yourself...
Why should I waste my precious time on this stuff?
Write SOPs to help your future self
- Save time the next time you run the same a process
- Reduce errors when dealing with human intense labor
- Set yourself up for automation
- Onboard VAs with ease to scale your business without scaling your headcount
- Well documented business sell at a premium, once you want to move on
Write SOPs to help others
- VAs and employees can get up and running much faster
- An acquirer can take over your business without guesswork
- You can serve your customers better and faster when you have a standardized way to react to problems
What makes a good SOP?
Most SOP guides are overly corporate and will make you spent 12 hours to write and SOP and get it approved...
It doesn't have to be that complicated.
To me, a good SOP should have on outline of:
- The problem
- The solution to the problem
- Links to useful resources
- A visual walkthrough (e.g. Loom)
- Easy to understand steps
- An outcome (optional)
For complex processes, it can also be helpful to include flowcharts (e.g. Miro) and known issues.
You can easily get started using our base SOP to create your own and take it from there.
How do I get started writing SOPs?
I get it, writing SOPs is not the most fun thing in the world.
If you're like me, you'd probably rather build another 100 features for your 0 customers, but your future self and employees will thank you for it.
You should try to start documenting your most critical processes or the ones that you're most likely to automate.
Then add more as you go.
Btw, we're working on a collection of SOP templates that you can copy to your Notion with a single click.
Grab them here.
We're also working on taking the pain out of creating SOPs by making it a fun experience.
Drop your email here if you want to save a bunch of time while you become more efficient.
Check here if you want to know the 4 steps to a bulletproof process.
Subscribe for more free stuff to scale your Business 👇
Share this with other Entrepreneurs like you 🙏